Friday, April 23, 2010

Bipolar

I was having solitary midnight hot tub time tonight, and found myself thinking about bipolar disorders which led me to think about Holly Golightly. Clearly she was bipolar, but based off of his writing style Truman Capote is not. So I wonder, how he was able to portray a bipolar woman so effectively in Breakfast at Tiffany's? Certainly he must have been familiar with the disorder, perhaps from dealing with someone personally. Regardless of how Capote knows, it made me realize something: no bipolar person would be able to write about other bipolar people. Perhaps it can be acknowledged and touched at, but the writing itself would be sporadic (assuming the writer is relatively manic while writing, which in my case happens a lot). With such intense bipolar sounding writing, it would be difficult to focus on what the character is doing that is manic and depressive. All in all, I thoroughly confused myself during my relaxation time, and am now finding possible and plausible solutions as to why it's so difficult for me to calmly explain the bipolar disorder. And right now, it's really bothering me the numerous times I have written the word "bipolar" in this paragraph. Bipolar.

No comments:

Post a Comment